Faculty Position: Professor and Mathematics Department Chair
October 4, 2022
The Department of Mathematics at Virginia Tech invites applications from visionary, creative, and energetic leaders for the position of Department Chair. This is a calendar year position at the rank of tenured Full Professor. We combine an international reputation for excellence in research with a substantial teaching and outreach mission.
The Department currently includes
- 39 tenured/tenure-track faculty members,
- 3 collegiate faculty members,
- 50 instructors,
- 9 visiting assistant professors,
- 7 postdoctoral fellows,
- 13 support staff,
- as well as more than 65 graduate students and 300 undergraduate majors.
- We provide instruction to more than 12,000 students at Virginia Tech every year.
Our research spans these core areas: Analysis, Differential Equations and Mathematical Physics; Numerical Analysis, High-Performance Scientific Computing, and Data-driven Science; Algebraic Combinatorics, Geometry, and Cryptology; Mathematics Education; and Mathematical Biology.
We play a central role in interdisciplinary research on campus, which includes engagement in the Interdisciplinary Center for Applied Mathematics, the Commonwealth Cyber Initiative, the National Security Institute, and the Academy of Data Science, which is the academic home to the Computational Modeling and Data Analytics program. The Blacksburg, Roanoke, and Northern Virginia campuses are well positioned to foster interactions with academic and government organizations in the Washington DC metro region.
The successful applicant will advocate for the research, teaching, and service missions of the department at the local, national, and international level, and will focus on achieving strategic goals within the department, college, and university. They will maintain the health of the department and foster its robust growth, provide mentorship and professional guidance for existing faculty, and promote diversity and inclusion.
Potential candidates must have
- a Ph.D. in mathematics or a closely related field,
- demonstrated administrative and programmatic leadership experience,
- demonstrated commitment to effective teaching,
- demonstrated commitment to developing a culturally diverse educational environment,
- a broad understanding of the mathematical sciences and interdisciplinary research, and
- exceptional professional achievements as evidenced by outstanding publications and a strong extramural funding history.
We seek a leader with vision, an open and inclusive management style, and the ability to communicate effectively across disciplines and at all levels within the university. The position is based in Blacksburg but requires occasional travel.